The Langham, Melbourne is a five-star hotel offering guests a luxurious and opulent experience. Nonetheless, The Langham is committed to minimising environmental impacts associated with the hotel’s daily operations and improving overall sustainability wherever possible without impacting the luxury of a guest’s stay.
The Langham, Melbourne Environmental Policy commits to:
- Implementing water saving practices
- Reducing waste going to landfill by practicing and enhancing in-house recycling programs
- Reducing energy and resource consumption
- Selecting products and services for their low environmental impact
- Training colleagues through the group wide “Green Team” program. The Langham, Melbourne ‘Green Team’ meets regularly to discuss environmental initiatives and to ensure these remain integral to hotel operations.
- Working with suppliers, clients and guests to develop and implement best practice standards to improve sustainability.
In 2014, The Langham, Melbourne passed requirements to be recognised as an Earthcheck Benchmarked Accommodation Hotel (Silver Certificate) for the fourth year. Earthcheck is the leading worldwide sustainability certification based on internationally accepted documentation. The object of the Earthcheck seal is to introduce and strengthen sustainability and social practices at all levels of management. From the benchmarking data provided, seven indicators, Energy Consumption, Greenhouse Gas Emissions (Scope 1 and Scope 2), Potable Water Consumption, Water Savings Rating, Waste Sent to Landfill, Cleaning Products Rating, and Pesticide Products Rating, are at or above the Best Practice level, which is an achievement to be ‘’very highly commended’’.